Sodlike Productions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lilly lives, can't say the same for...

4 posters

Go down

Lilly lives, can't say the same for... Empty Lilly lives, can't say the same for...

Post  true lilly Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:30 pm

sod, you were right to be interested in my battles ... ignor WW and such schills, who can't predict sunset, let alone the world changing events I do, like : Rudd, Nixon, Rees, Pithouse, the P.M. , POLICE CHIEF, FIRE CHIEF, MAGIRTRATE are just some I'm on record warning, who didn't heed me and paid in ways "NO ONE PREDICTED" BUT ME...[QUOTE=cori;1059044490]The dutch want World war?
You must not have ever gotten out of Ballarat.[/QUOTE]
I WANT YOU TO STOP PUBLICLY INSULTING ME WITH CHILDISH LIES, WHEN I'M NOT ALLOWED TO CORRECT AND EXPOSE YOU WITH THE TRUTH.
true lilly
true lilly

Back to top Go down

Lilly lives, can't say the same for... Empty Re: Lilly lives, can't say the same for...

Post  true lilly Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:52 pm

Remember, CORI= tintin = D.I.,is the DUTCH SPY WHO CAME, STAYED IN MY HOME AND HIRED the BIKIES AND THEIR MOLES who hospitalized me (like associates of Pithouse )...AH THE REAL WORLD, NEVER BORING FOR THE BRAVE...WHY MOST STAY IN THE ON LINE WORLD
true lilly
true lilly

Back to top Go down

Lilly lives, can't say the same for... Empty Re: Lilly lives, can't say the same for...

Post  Ciggy Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:34 pm

Still no evidence?
Ciggy
Ciggy

Back to top Go down

Post  true lilly Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 am

Just pop over there when its back up from collapsing under the weight of truth ... Snuck in this and it went BOOM [QUOTE=vera susa;1059048640][SIZE="3"]ZION = AUSTRALIA: PRESERVED TO BE RE-PLANTED and RE-BUILT and ALL THE SCATTERED TRIBES of SPIRITUAL ISRAEL RE-GATHERED TO HER ... and in The News now, Melbourne's GREEN OFFICE BUILDING, GREEN HOME, NEW GREEN BUILDING REGULATIONS, NEW PUBLIC TRANSPORT SYSTEM TO THE REGIONS (as I explained years ago; WE DELIBERATELY STAYED UNDERdeveloped, WORK THE BUGS OUT AROUND THE WORLD), and, MELBOURNE HAS THE LARGEST POPULATION of HOLOCAUST SURVIVORS Outside of THE FAKE Land of 'Israel'[/SIZE][/QUOTE] ... and SBS News tells us MELBOURNE HAS JUST OPENED A HOLO2UST MUSEUM ... on the same day ABC News tells us of Rock Paintings that SHOW ANCIENT ABORIGINALS WENT TO ASIA ... As Did ANCIENT ISRAEL, after JOSHUA died and they FORGOT THEIR GOD, THE GOD, THE CREATOR

true lilly
true lilly

Back to top Go down

Post  Kallisti, Damn'd Sod..!!! Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:39 pm

true lilly wrote:Remember, CORI= tintin = D.I.,is the DUTCH SPY WHO CAME, STAYED IN MY HOME AND HIRED the BIKIES AND THEIR MOLES who hospitalized me (like associates of Pithouse )...AH THE REAL WORLD, NEVER BORING FOR THE BRAVE...WHY MOST STAY IN THE ON LINE WORLD

Could It Be That Tintin Came To See You,
But You Didn't Have Enough In Common To Sustain A Freindship...???

Instead Of Anything Sinister...???

cheers cheers cheers
Kallisti, Damn'd Sod..!!!
Kallisti, Damn'd Sod..!!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Ciggy Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:00 am

true lilly wrote:Just pop over there when its back up from collapsing under the weight of truth

Why don't you "pop" the evidence over here so it won't be subject to Daisy Deletion?

Cat got yer mouse?
Ciggy
Ciggy

Back to top Go down

Post  true lilly Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:11 am

Tintin is a lying, cold blooded enemy of Australia and Australians, who got shitty with me when his cori character failed to threaten me into their demon fearing ways ... And yes ciggy, the violent pyro slag that last beat me into hospital did destroy my pc to, and my new ph (they also stole my old ph), is very low tech
true lilly
true lilly

Back to top Go down

Post  Ciggy Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:48 pm

true lilly wrote:Tintin is a lying, cold blooded enemy of Australia and Australians, who got shitty with me when his cori character failed to threaten me into their demon fearing ways ... And yes ciggy, the violent pyro slag that last beat me into hospital did destroy my pc to, and my new ph (they also stole my old ph), is very low tech

Well don't take yer meds, and when the ODOs have all gone, slip out the window. We've got demonic Oranj Order shitmullets and their Dutch minions and Fail Monkey to defeat with the power that is the Great Grant O'Zion, peace be upon its name. Amen-ra.

We'll see if we can find you a safe house without any sharp objects.
Ciggy
Ciggy

Back to top Go down

Post  MoMo Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:00 pm

wave
Lilly lives, can't say the same for... Guitar-playing-cat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw7guzT6ANI&feature=fvst

Lilly lives, can't say the same for... Zdjecia-1681201085812

Lilly lives, can't say the same for... 24204_1284502674581_full

thumbs up
git yer groove on!

thumbs up
Lilly lives, can't say the same for... Tumblr_kvkqt6uy3t1qzw1zno1_400

. cheers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYlDltwm-JY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FBKa-bCasY

Lilly lives, can't say the same for... I170336510_62106_3

Lilly lives, can't say the same for... Ding-dong-4607_preview

Lilly lives, can't say the same for... 81502

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp3af4ZJS4w

Lilly lives, can't say the same for... 907651c4-88f0-48d7-9dba-4fed7c30f715

Lilly lives, can't say the same for... Dancing_kitties

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMniyUyqN_E

Lilly lives, can't say the same for... 8Orj-1i2-1

Lilly lives, can't say the same for... Dancingcatmofm

Lilly lives, can't say the same for... Ahhh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COiIC3A0ROM
Lilly lives, can't say the same for... 32808
MoMo
MoMo

Back to top Go down

Post  MoMo Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:08 pm

What an ignorant douchebag. thumbs up

49e: Cinderella, part 5:
http://www.vbm-torah.org/jewphi.htm
Exile and Redemption

I would like to explain the meaning of Job's faith by means of a contrast between two situations in modern literature. I will bring the first example from a short story by a well-known author, who inherited the Jewish tradition from his parents' home. This tradition has not disappeared despite the power of the evil inclination. He himself is very aware of this struggle, and does not want to lose his Jewish roots. I am speaking of Isaac Bashevis Singer. I will refer to one of his stories, entitled "Zeidlus the First." Zeidlus is of course a Latin play on the Yiddish name Zeidel. Singer tells us of a man named Zeidel, a learned Jew whom Satan attempts to lead astray. All of his initial efforts fail. The regular temptations do not work on Zeidel. However, the temptation of pride is too strong for Zeidel to resist. How does one tempt a Jew with pride? If you convert, says Satan, you will go far; you will become Pope Zeidlus the First. Zeidel falls into the trap. However, his life does not turn out exactly the way Satan promised him.

Rabbi Nachman of Breslov teaches that Satan is like the person who shows a child his closed hand and promises, "if you do such and such I will give you what is in my hand." The child does what he is asked, and afterwards, when the hand opens, the child sees that it is empty.

We will not go into all of Zeidel's adventures. We will only say that he failed at everything, and when Satan appears at the moment of death to take his soul, and Zeidel sees him, he exclaims,

"Is it you Satan, angel of death?"
"Yes Zeidel," replies the Tempter, "I have come for you. And it won't help you to repent or confess, so don't try."
"Where are you taking me?" he asked.
"Straight to Gehenna."
"If there is a Gehenna, there is also a God," Zeidel said, his lips trembling.
"This proves nothing," I retorted.
"Yes it does," he said. "If Hell exists, everything exists. If you are real, He is real. Now take me to where I belong. I am ready."

This idea, of the discovery of God beyond evil, is completely opposed to a message that appears in one of Ingmar Bergman's "philosophical" films, "The Seventh Seal." In the film – which has a Christian background - a knight appears who asks the final questions, and in one of the dialogues of the film someone who has seen the angel of death claims that he looked into his eyes, but beyond them one could see nothing. In contrast to this, the meaning of the story of "Zeidlus the First" is that beyond evil one can see good. This is the great leap that we must take: the leap from the absurd into a meaningful existence.

The Torah concludes with a commandment to study a song and remember it from generation to generation, so that it will exist forever. This is the song of "Hearken" ("Ha'azinu"). The Torah explains that days will come when

"I will hide My face from them and they will be prey, and will be beset by many evils and troubles and they will say on that day, 'it is because my God is not with me that we have been beset by these evils'... And now, write this song for yourselves and teach it to the children of Israel, place it in their mouths, so that this song will be a witness for the Children of Israel." (Devarim 31:17-19)

A time of great suffering will come, and the nation will ask the question, is God indeed among us? Or in a more modern version, "Can one believe in God after Auschwitz?" The Torah commanded us to study this song, so that we will know that despite the pain and evil, God is with us. This is the song that comes to teach us that even in the midst of evil, God is with us.

"How can one [man] chase a thousand and two [men] pursue ten thousand, if their Rock had not sold them, and God had not trapped them." (Devarim 32:30)

Despite everything, the world is not left to its own devices. This is a prophetic promise given to us so that we will not give up hope.

And here I will dare to make the terrible leap, towards the eyes of the Angel of Death. In our generation we have learned something beyond what Rihal has taught us. We can learn about the truth, as Rihal said, from the fact that God revealed himself at Mount Sinai and chose the nation that He loves, the Chosen People, and gave them the Torah. However, to our sorrow, in history there is another way as well. If Satan appeared, and I was indeed certain that he was Satan, I could learn, paradoxically, from him, that the Chosen People are the nation that Satan recognizes and announces to be his enemy. History has shown us many anti-Semites, great and small. However, Satan himself was none other than Nazism. Nazism appeared and, pointing at the Jewish people, announced, "This is my enemy." We have learned that the Jewish people are the Chosen People - from the evidence given by Satan. Satan did not hate the Jews because we were opposed to his political ideas or because we disturbed his plans. The child and the old man, who were powerless to harm anyone, were also Satan's enemies. To some extent, the Holocaust was an Encounter at Auschwitz, parallel to the Encounter at Mount Sinai, in which Satan appeared and showed us the way to the great leap, the need to see beyond the empty eyes of the Angel of Death. Beyond them there is something else. It is not emptiness. Zeidlus the First was right: "If you are real, He is real."

The world understands this logic, even if only subconsciously. We can understand this if we analyze different reactions to the Holocaust. The anti-Semite complains that the Nazis did not finish the job. We are also familiar with the attempts of Nazi sympathizers who want to deny the Holocaust, and sometimes we hear both claims at once. This is one side of the range of responses. However, on the other side we hear more sophisticated denials. For many years we have been witnesses to an attempt, by the Poles for example, to deny the fact that the Jews were the victims of the Holocaust. However, the most evident attempt in this area is without a doubt the establishment of the Carmelite monastery at Auschwitz. Here we are faced with an attempt to rewrite history: Christianity was one of the victims of Auschwitz. The Church did this, for example, by making a Jewish convert to Christianity into a Christian saint. This is because, consciously or subconsciously, everyone whose conscience was not destroyed by Nazism understands that every honest person should have been at Auschwitz. There Satan made the selection. And whoever was not chosen by him to be wiped out, cannot possibly be the chosen one of God.

Cinderella and her sisters

Today we can understand this because of the perspective that we have on the first verses of the last chapter of the book of Job. From this perspective, which stems from a sense that we are at the beginning of the Redemption, we ought to reread the end of the story of Cinderella. How did Cinderella treat her sisters after her rise to greatness? I leave the reader to do his own homework, but I promise him that a look at the various versions will be very interesting. What God expects from Job is clear. God expects Job to pray for his friends who have constantly directed their arrows at him. This is a very difficult moral paradox. However, it helps us to understand the secret of the ending of the book. The redemption of Job represents the return of the Jewish people to their land. The verse actually uses the phrase "returned his exiles" (42:10), which is essentially a national term. Now we also understand another difficulty. His first children are lost to him, yet Job's comfort - a comfort that does not erase the pain - is in his second children. The Holocaust was an event that can never be forgotten, and we are left with problems that cannot be rationally explained away. However, now we see the return of Job's exiles, and the prayer that he wishes for the whole world: may sins, not sinners, be obliterated.

Job's friends, Cinderella's sisters, are the other religions that point an accusing finger at Job: Job, you are suffering, this is proof that you have sinned, this means that God has rejected you. The book ends with the meeting with the prince: "and God returned the exiles of Job" - this is the Redemption.
MoMo
MoMo

Back to top Go down

Post  MoMo Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:25 pm

Be that as it may, the fact remains that lillys head is permanantly embedded so far up her own ass that she sees nothing but poo. thumbs up

X-Ray of Lillys, Queen of Bullshits Skull

Lilly lives, can't say the same for... Shit-brain1

http://www.vbm-torah.org/jewphi.htm

53b: A Covenant of Fate, Part 2
Anti-Semitism and Its Causes: The Psychological Background

Anti-semitism is a multi-faceted phenomenon, which lends itself to various analyses. I would like to demonstrate that the various dimensions of analysis do not contradict one another. In fact, their juxtaposition creates a complete picture. Here we will discuss the first level, the psychological dimension. To explain it, I will use a simple allegory. Psychologists often employ the Rorschach Test in their analysis of patients. The test uses a well-known technique known as the projective technique. The patient is asked to look at a series of pictures and explain what he sees. These pictures have no intrinsic meaning. In fact, they are simply ink blots on paper that created symmetrical designs when the paper was folded in two. As previously mentioned, the pictures do not represent anything, yet people look at them and explain them. The explanations do not exist in the pictures; they exist in the person's mind. This is an opening, through which the psychologists try to enter the inner world of the person, who "projects" what is inside himself onto the pictures.

This mechanism, according to many psychologists, can shed light on the phenomenon of anti-Semitism. The anti- Semite sees in the Jews negative qualities that threaten and endanger him. These characteristics don't exist in the "picture"; they only exist in the mind of the beholder. They are the projections of the anti-Semite, who uses the Jew as a blot of his own making, and upon which he projects the black sides of his inner world. This, in very general terms of course, refers to the psychological background of anti-Semitism. The fact that the Jew is a minority, a foreigner who is relatively easily identified, was a psychological cause that contributed to the choice of the Jew as the screen upon which the anti-Semites threw their fears and hatred. This is actually the explanation for a number of noticeable characteristics of anti-Semitism. We find many types and forms of attacks on Jews. In one place the Jew is described as having one trait, and in another place he is accused of the opposite characteristic. This is true regarding both his personal traits and his social and political traits. Thus, for example, the Jew is portrayed as the capitalist trying to take over the world, and on the other hand as the revolutionary, who is attempting to weaken the power of wealth and utterly abolish personal ownership. The fact that we are faced with a psychological phenomenon means that we must not search for logic here. All anti-Semites project their various and contradictory fears upon the Jew.

Anti-Semitism and Its Causes: The Social Basis

Whoever thinks that this analysis has exhausted the topic of anti-Semitism is fooling himself. Anti-Semitism is a social, not an individual, phenomenon. In addition to its psychological aspects, we must study anti-Semitism from its social and general perspectives as well. A view of history and philosophy in recent generations will be of help in our attempt. Let us therefore move on to the second level of our analysis, the collective, political and social level. Until now we have examined a phenomenon that has already been expressed by the earliest thinkers of the last century. They viewed anti-Semitism as part of Xenophobia, and indeed, the phenomena we have expressed until now are merely details within a much larger context, that of the strains that exist between various groups, between the majority and the minority, and even between various races who live together within one society. From this perspective, there is no essential difference between the hatred of Jews and the hostility that exists towards other races, such as blacks. However, this is but one level of the explanation. Until now we have identified the roots of the problem, and its individual expressions.

If anti-Semitism were only an individual psychological phenomenon, it would be similar to other forms of discrimination and hostility; however, in the modern world anti-Semitism takes on a different hue. Various groups have used it for political purposes. We can trace clear attempts to use psychological hostility – which, it seems, has deep religious roots – to forward political aims. Thus, modern anti-Semitism was born, and acquired a more and more tragic and satanic form. The widespread use of this technique began in Czarist Russia, in the struggle to smother those revolutionary attempts that finally toppled the Czarist rule. Through the Czarist secret police, the rulers attempted to identify revolutionary action with the activities of the Jews. The rulers of Czarist Russia fought against certain phenomena, and in this fight they created a kind of equation, which was supposed to prove their claims. The Czarist secret police created one of the documents that became an anti-Semitic classic, "The Protocols of the Elders of Zion." This book reveals the so-called secret plan weaved by the leaders of the Jews, to take over the entire world. "The Protocols of the Elders of Zion" became a holy book among the anti-Semites.

"The Protocols of the Elders of Zion" was simply a rewriting of a French book that attributed ambitions to take over the world to Napoleon. This booklet is called "a dialogue in hell between Machiavelli and Montasque," or "Politics of the Nineteenth Century." These accusations were not at all directed towards the Jews and Judaism. However, the dialogue was adopted and transformed into the protocols of an imaginary group whose members were the world leaders of Judaism, attempting to take over the politics of various European countries.

Even the Czar himself, Nikolai the Second, although far from bearing the Jews any fond feelings, saw that the book was a fake and opposed its publication. Despite this, the first Russian edition appeared in 1905. A number of years later, other editions began to appear. Some of the editions were altered and corrected in order to make it possible to accuse the Jews of various catastrophes that took place between one edition and another. At various opportunities, it became the topic of public court cases, in which the book was proved to be a forgery. However, this of course did not check the book's growing popularity, particularly in the wake of the Nazi influence. The book influenced various writers, who were mistakenly taken in and convinced of its authenticity. Thus, for example, Henry Ford was inspired by "The Protocols of the Elders of Zion" to write "The International Jew," in which he continues these accusations. Various other books were written in its wake until recent years.

This is an example of a lie and forgery that the power of truth could not effectually surmount. This abominable book became a justification of Nazism and the genocide that followed in its wake. This is an example of the phenomena that we must deal with. Forgeries spread throughout the world, and people are convinced.

49c: Cinderella, part 3:

The book of Job represents the conflict between Judaism and the other central religions. Both Islam and Christianity, throughout the generations, have continually employed a claim in the anti-Jewish argument that can be termed "the exile proof." The success of these religions is seemingly a proof that God is on their side. I propose to prove the opposite theory, that it is the anti-hero who is God's ally.

Our forefathers knew that the exile was a trial to be overcome. The Jew refuses to accept the claims of his friends; he insists upon the justice of his path. This insistence has a sublimity to it, which is expressed in the Jewish existence in exile. The members of the Great Assembly recognized this when they coined the phrase we use in our prayers, "the great mighty and awesome God." When the prophets saw the destruction, they omitted parts of the formula one by one, and questioned His might and greatness. These omissions are built upon the approach that says that truth is revealed on the battlefield, or through political or financial success. The members of the Great Assembly re-instituted the authentic phrase "the great, mighty and awesome God" and claimed that paradoxically, through Jewish existence in exile, God's greatness and might are expressed. On the one hand, the irrational existence of the Jews in exile is the miraculous existence of one lamb among seventy wolves. Yet on the other hand, the exile expresses the fact that the Jewish people accepted the yoke of Heaven, not from a state where God made sure they lacked for nothing, not from a state of military success or financial abundance, but from poverty and suffering, without even the hope of change in the foreseeable future.

Cinderella's sisters found proof of their preferred status in their success. However, their success was, of course, helped by the sword. Christianity and Islam used the sword, and their covenant with the sword, to take over the world. Job, who worships God within his suffering, reaches the highest level of divine worship. Whenever Jews chose to suffer rather than utter the one traitorous word that could have altered their fate, it was a constant sanctification of God's name. Putting the Jewish people (and Job) through suffering was God's great gamble against Satan, and cosmically, their continued acceptance of God was a greater proof of the truth of Judaism than a triumph on the battlefield. This perhaps sounds surprising. However, if we would possess a consciousness of the truth, we would be able to understand the profound value of our exile and our suffering. It is for the lack of this consciousness of the truth that the king is justified in his criticism of the Jewish people; as the Chaver says, "You have found the place of my shame, King of Khazar" (1:115).

We are sometimes missing an awareness of the significance of the life that we live. We sometimes live with no awareness of our position and no understanding of what is really taking place in our lives. The Jew always knew that he could escape his fate by uttering one word, yet he refused to do it. We must be aware of this heroism, that we accepted our suffering out of love and longing for God. The Jew knows this, yet sometimes he does not know that he knows it.

Rihal teaches us that the suffering of the Jews in exile was a sacrifice for the sake of the Torah. It was a life of martyrdom, the highest level exalted by the Christians and Moslems. Rihal reiterated the principle (2:34, 4:22) that many of the values extolled in Christian and Moslem theology are Jewish values that were fulfilled by the Jewish people. The most obvious example is the section in Yishayahu (52:13-53-12) that speaks of the suffering servant of God. God's suffering servant is actually the Jewish people. The Christians applied this section to their Messiah. Rihal restores the section to its authentic meaning.

Rihal fought against a phenomenon that can be termed stolen identity. The phenomenon has many levels. Christianity claimed to be the true Israel. Islam claimed that the Koran is the authentic holy writ. Our return to the land of Israel was accompanied by a similar process. The Palestinian charter is a reworking of the principles of Zionism.

Despite this re-evaluation of suffering, there is no doubt that it is impossible to discuss history without also speaking from the perspective of chapter 42 of Job. Judaism believes that redemption is assured. It is not possible that God will suffer evil forever. However, we are discussing reality from the perspective of an earlier chapter. We don't have the perspective of the ending. Our generation must view itself as fortunate because we can read the first few verses of the final chapter, the first glimmerings of redemption. We see the course of history changing. Rihal, in contrast, lived at a low point of Jewish history, when the Christians and the Moslems were at the height of their power. Each ruled over half the world and claimed that their success was an expression of divine blessing. Judaism is Job's great gamble against his friends. It is the gamble of the sufferer when redemption is beyond the scope of his horizon. The response of Job/the Jewish people is "Even if He kills me, I still hope to Him" (13:15), and at the same time, "I will wait for [Messiah's] arrival every day."

49d: Cinderella, part 4:

Exile and Redemption

The faith in redemption is paramount in our theology. The Torah, stamped with divine truth, prophesies the redemption of the Jewish people. God has foreknowledge of world history. Therefore, we pray to Him to involve Him in our redemption.

Rihal teaches us that the process of world redemption continues to take place, even while the Jewish people are in exile. Divine providence functions in ways that are mysterious to us, and seem to bring about the complete opposite of redemption. Rihal and the Rambam after him (Rambam, laws of kings, chapter 11), teach us that the mysterious workings of divine providence stand behind the success of Christianity and Islam as well. The message of Judaism was spread to the ends of the earth through these messengers. Thus Rabbi Abraham, son of the Rambam writes in his father's name:

"By keeping my Torah, you will be world leaders, your relation to them as that of a priest to his flock, the world will follow in your footsteps and imitate your actions and follow your paths. This is the explanation I received from my father of blessed memory." (Rabbi Abraham son of the Rambam, commentary on Bereshit and Shemot)

This idea is repeated in Rabbi Bachya ben Asher's "Kad Kemach:"

"And the reason for the dispersion in my opinion...is that the Jews be spread among the nations...and they will teach them the belief in the existence of God and of the divine providence that hovers over every detail of human existence." (Kad Kemach, Redemption)

Later this idea was expressed by Rabbi Chayim ben Betzalel, brother of the Maharal. In his interpretation of the prophecy of Isaiah the servant of God he writes,

"And we may also explain: God wished to oppress the Jews and disperse them among the nations for the sake of the goodness of the other nations who are also the work of His hands; through the Jews who are dispersed throughout the world the true faith will also be spread throughout the world...for God desired the nations also to hold the true faith...for this reason they [the Jews] are called children of Yizrael, [literally, God will plant], for they are the seed that God planted throughout the world, like the person who plants his wheat and does not throw it down in one place but spreads it to all the edges of the fields, so the Jews were dispersed to the four corners of the earth, so that through them the true faith would spread throughout the world. (The Book of Life, Book of Redemption and Salvation, chapter 7)

Exile is a trial, a trial that is part of a divine plan of history. However, the proof of the truth lies also in the ending of the book of Job, which closes, despite everything, with redemption. The key to understanding this ending lies in the verse that tells us that God "returned the exiles of Job" (Job 42:10). This verse loses its meaning if it does not create an association with other similar verses: "when God shall return the exiles of Zion...Return, O God, our exiles." The return of the sons and daughters of Job represents the return of the nation after the exile. The end of the book prophesies the redemption, and bears witness that despite everything, history owes a debt to the Jewish people. Ultimately, history will be altered, and the world will witness the redemption and the return.

We cannot think about the history of our ancestors in exile without an awareness of their greatness. However here too, thank God, our situation has changed. We, the modern successors of the Kuzari, must emphasize different things today. These are the ideas Rihal will teach us in the end of the fifth section of the Kuzari. We must understand that in our day the exile is a trap, and our attitude towards it must be one of repudiation and aliya (literally, going up) to Israel. The status of exile today can be summed up in one sentence: exile today is not a punishment, it is a sin.

The Dry Bones

Rihal discusses the question of the fate of the Jewish people in his discussion of the suffering of the individual (3:11). He teaches us that the meaning of suffering for the individual must reflect the meaning of the suffering of the group as well.

"For when the confusions of logic arouse in his heart the length of the exile and the dispersion of the people and the dwindling of their numbers - he must first comfort himself with accepting divinely proscribed fate as I have said, and then with the attempt to punish sins, and then with the reward and punishment which await in the World to Come and cleaving to the Divine Presence in this world."

A third stage is added to the first two responses to suffering. To the philosophical stage in which we accept the meaning of evil, we add the understanding of reward and punishment, and to these we add a third stage, the persuasion that the sufferings of the past build us up towards the future. This is true both with regard to the individual and the nation. To this Rihal adds:

"And if Satan brings him to despair by saying, "shall these bones live?" for our imprint among the nations has been greatly reduced and our memory is forgotten, as it is said, "our bones have dried up we have lost hope, we are doomed," he must think of the miracle of the exodus from Egypt...and then it will not seem impossible to him that we will return to our former state even when there will be only one person left of us, as it is written, "fear not, worm of Ya'akov." for what is left of man after he becomes a worm in his grave?"

Here we meet once again with Rihal the daring commentator. There are many ways that the term "worm of Ya'akov" is commonly explained. Particularly well known is the explanation of the Sages that, like the worm, our power is in our mouths. However, Rihal takes an amazing leap of interpretation here. He takes "worm of Ya'akov" to mean a worm on a dead body, the final sign of life. Despite it all, we will rise again.

Here we see, regarding both the individual and the nation, that suffering is first and foremost a trial. This is in essence Job's question. Job asks the question of suffering, and refuses to accept the standard philosophical answers. Yet, he believes. In next week's lecture, we will analyze the meaning and essence of this faith.....................49e: Cinderella, part 5:

Exile and Redemption

I would like to explain the meaning of Job's faith by means of a contrast between two situations in modern literature. I will bring the first example from a short story by a well-known author, who inherited the Jewish tradition from his parents' home. This tradition has not disappeared despite the power of the evil inclination. He himself is very aware of this struggle, and does not want to lose his Jewish roots. I am speaking of Isaac Bashevis Singer. I will refer to one of his stories, entitled "Zeidlus the First." Zeidlus is of course a Latin play on the Yiddish name Zeidel. Singer tells us of a man named Zeidel, a learned Jew whom Satan attempts to lead astray. All of his initial efforts fail. The regular temptations do not work on Zeidel. However, the temptation of pride is too strong for Zeidel to resist. How does one tempt a Jew with pride? If you convert, says Satan, you will go far; you will become Pope Zeidlus the First. Zeidel falls into the trap. However, his life does not turn out exactly the way Satan promised him.

Rabbi Nachman of Breslov teaches that Satan is like the person who shows a child his closed hand and promises, "if you do such and such I will give you what is in my hand." The child does what he is asked, and afterwards, when the hand opens, the child sees that it is empty.

We will not go into all of Zeidel's adventures. We will only say that he failed at everything, and when Satan appears at the moment of death to take his soul, and Zeidel sees him, he exclaims,

"Is it you Satan, angel of death?"
"Yes Zeidel," replies the Tempter, "I have come for you. And it won't help you to repent or confess, so don't try."
"Where are you taking me?" he asked.
"Straight to Gehenna."
"If there is a Gehenna, there is also a God," Zeidel said, his lips trembling.
"This proves nothing," I retorted.
"Yes it does," he said. "If Hell exists, everything exists. If you are real, He is real. Now take me to where I belong. I am ready."

This idea, of the discovery of God beyond evil, is completely opposed to a message that appears in one of Ingmar Bergman's "philosophical" films, "The Seventh Seal." In the film – which has a Christian background - a knight appears who asks the final questions, and in one of the dialogues of the film someone who has seen the angel of death claims that he looked into his eyes, but beyond them one could see nothing. In contrast to this, the meaning of the story of "Zeidlus the First" is that beyond evil one can see good. This is the great leap that we must take: the leap from the absurd into a meaningful existence.

The Torah concludes with a commandment to study a song and remember it from generation to generation, so that it will exist forever. This is the song of "Hearken" ("Ha'azinu"). The Torah explains that days will come when

"I will hide My face from them and they will be prey, and will be beset by many evils and troubles and they will say on that day, 'it is because my God is not with me that we have been beset by these evils'... And now, write this song for yourselves and teach it to the children of Israel, place it in their mouths, so that this song will be a witness for the Children of Israel." (Devarim 31:17-19)

A time of great suffering will come, and the nation will ask the question, is God indeed among us? Or in a more modern version, "Can one believe in God after Auschwitz?" The Torah commanded us to study this song, so that we will know that despite the pain and evil, God is with us. This is the song that comes to teach us that even in the midst of evil, God is with us.

"How can one [man] chase a thousand and two [men] pursue ten thousand, if their Rock had not sold them, and God had not trapped them." (Devarim 32:30)

Despite everything, the world is not left to its own devices. This is a prophetic promise given to us so that we will not give up hope.

And here I will dare to make the terrible leap, towards the eyes of the Angel of Death. In our generation we have learned something beyond what Rihal has taught us. We can learn about the truth, as Rihal said, from the fact that God revealed himself at Mount Sinai and chose the nation that He loves, the Chosen People, and gave them the Torah. However, to our sorrow, in history there is another way as well. If Satan appeared, and I was indeed certain that he was Satan, I could learn, paradoxically, from him, that the Chosen People are the nation that Satan recognizes and announces to be his enemy. History has shown us many anti-Semites, great and small. However, Satan himself was none other than Nazism. Nazism appeared and, pointing at the Jewish people, announced, "This is my enemy." We have learned that the Jewish people are the Chosen People - from the evidence given by Satan. Satan did not hate the Jews because we were opposed to his political ideas or because we disturbed his plans. The child and the old man, who were powerless to harm anyone, were also Satan's enemies. To some extent, the Holocaust was an Encounter at Auschwitz, parallel to the Encounter at Mount Sinai, in which Satan appeared and showed us the way to the great leap, the need to see beyond the empty eyes of the Angel of Death. Beyond them there is something else. It is not emptiness. Zeidlus the First was right: "If you are real, He is real."

The world understands this logic, even if only subconsciously. We can understand this if we analyze different reactions to the Holocaust. The anti-Semite complains that the Nazis did not finish the job. We are also familiar with the attempts of Nazi sympathizers who want to deny the Holocaust, and sometimes we hear both claims at once. This is one side of the range of responses. However, on the other side we hear more sophisticated denials. For many years we have been witnesses to an attempt, by the Poles for example, to deny the fact that the Jews were the victims of the Holocaust. However, the most evident attempt in this area is without a doubt the establishment of the Carmelite monastery at Auschwitz. Here we are faced with an attempt to rewrite history: Christianity was one of the victims of Auschwitz. The Church did this, for example, by making a Jewish convert to Christianity into a Christian saint. This is because, consciously or subconsciously, everyone whose conscience was not destroyed by Nazism understands that every honest person should have been at Auschwitz. There Satan made the selection. And whoever was not chosen by him to be wiped out, cannot possibly be the chosen one of God.

Cinderella and her sisters

Today we can understand this because of the perspective that we have on the first verses of the last chapter of the book of Job. From this perspective, which stems from a sense that we are at the beginning of the Redemption, we ought to reread the end of the story of Cinderella. How did Cinderella treat her sisters after her rise to greatness? I leave the reader to do his own homework, but I promise him that a look at the various versions will be very interesting. What God expects from Job is clear. God expects Job to pray for his friends who have constantly directed their arrows at him. This is a very difficult moral paradox. However, it helps us to understand the secret of the ending of the book. The redemption of Job represents the return of the Jewish people to their land. The verse actually uses the phrase "returned his exiles" (42:10), which is essentially a national term. Now we also understand another difficulty. His first children are lost to him, yet Job's comfort - a comfort that does not erase the pain - is in his second children. The Holocaust was an event that can never be forgotten, and we are left with problems that cannot be rationally explained away. However, now we see the return of Job's exiles, and the prayer that he wishes for the whole world: may sins, not sinners, be obliterated.

Job's friends, Cinderella's sisters, are the other religions that point an accusing finger at Job: Job, you are suffering, this is proof that you have sinned, this means that God has rejected you. The book ends with the meeting with the prince: "and God returned the exiles of Job" - this is the Redemption.

thumbs up
MoMo
MoMo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down