Sodlike Productions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

B.P. Offshore Oil Strike Game From The '70's...!!!

3 posters

Go down

B.P. Offshore Oil Strike Game From The '70's...!!!  Empty B.P. Offshore Oil Strike Game From The '70's...!!!

Post  Kallisti, Damn'd Sod..!!! Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:31 pm

B.P. Offshore Oil Strike Game From The '70's...!!!

Spooky...!!!

B.P. Offshore Oil Strike Game From The '70's...!!!  Bpoffshoreoilstrike

A nearly 40-year-old board game is getting a lot of new attention because of eerie similarities between the scenarios of its play and the 78-day-old BP Gulf oil disaster.

The game BP Offshore Oil Strike, which came out in the 1970s and is adorned with an old BP logo, revolves around four players exploring for oil, building platforms and constructing pipelines – all in the name of being the first to make $120 million.

But like the real-life oil game there are some big hazards, too.
Players have to deal with the possibility of large-scale oil spills and cover cleanup costs.
You struggle with "hazard cards" that include phrases now part of our daily vernacular, including: "Blow-out! Rig damaged.
Oil slick cleanup costs.
Pay $1 million."

http://fieldnotes.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2010/07/06/4621357-bp-board-game-foreshadows-gulf-disaster

B.P. Offshore Oil Strike Game From The '70's...!!!  Deepwatwehorizonoilrig

Deepwater Horizon prior to destruction...

"It was sort of uncanny how it was similar to what's happening really," Goldsmith said.
"I thought it was odd that it was a game in the '70s, which has basically now come true.
The interesting thing is that it was in dollars, even though it was a European game.
The cleanup bill was $1 million, which we now know isn't nearly enough, but it is a weird colorful circle."

The game came out during the oil crisis of the '70s – and perhaps it was an attempt to drum up support for U.S.-based drilling.

Goldsmith said as a part of the game, players work to amass a drilling empire.
But the game comes with all of the scenarios of the present Gulf disaster.
Even the game board and cover resemble images from the Gulf these days – with rigs attempting to reach far into the ocean depths.

The game has many people online remarking about whether it eerily foreshadowed the current BP disaster.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/07/06/70s-board-game-contains-eerie-bp-oil-spill-scenarios/?hpt=T2

B.P. Offshore Oil Strike Game From The '70's...!!!  Bpoilstrike1

One “hazard card” reads “Blow-out! Rig damaged.

Oil slick clean-up costs.
Pay $1million.

In the set of Offshore Oil Strike pics below (courtesy of BoardGameGeek), you’ll see that the game featured a strike indicator which featured “hazard!” “dry!” and “oil!” outputs; presumably, these outcomes are determined by rolling dice rather than, say, deciding whether or not to install a $500,000 acoustic trigger which cancels out the impacts of negative rolls.

B.P. Offshore Oil Strike Game From The '70's...!!!  Bpoilstrike2

"BP Offshore Oil Strike" is a 19 70s board game in which up to four players are would-be oil tycoons.

I Wonder What Other Bored Games Have This Type Of "Predictive Programminig" In Them...???

scared scared scared
Kallisti, Damn'd Sod..!!!

Back to top Go down

B.P. Offshore Oil Strike Game From The '70's...!!!  Empty Re: B.P. Offshore Oil Strike Game From The '70's...!!!

Post  John Drake Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:31 am

What a load of old bollocks.

Get help sod you're heads really gone.

John Drake

Back to top Go down

B.P. Offshore Oil Strike Game From The '70's...!!!  Empty Fortress America

Post  Billy Ruben Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:36 am

...You see,one can only lead impirically for so long,until the opposing forces,are willing to ditch their differences,and form a tri-party alliance.
That is the only way,a factional collective,can be victorious.This also applies to the state of the USA today.Wonder if they got those laser cannons ready....

B.P. Offshore Oil Strike Game From The '70's...!!!  Fortress

B.P. Offshore Oil Strike Game From The '70's...!!!  Fasmall1

B.P. Offshore Oil Strike Game From The '70's...!!!  Famerica

...great game too.But for nostalgia and conventional tactics,nothing beats this little gem,maybe not so predictive,but I never lost the war for the Axis yet,close,but no donut...

B.P. Offshore Oil Strike Game From The '70's...!!!  Aanew

B.P. Offshore Oil Strike Game From The '70's...!!!  Axis2020allies2001

good games,JD,but to win the war,is much more glorious than small-time skirmishes.I'm so good at this,I'd enter a world championship,the key to winning,use with everything in the Japanese arsenal,to wipe the Pearl Harbor fleet,and launch a Japanese offensive,through Siberia and China and India,simultaneously.With Germany,wipe out the English fleets,particulary their transports and battleships,launch and attack and seize Karelia,in the USSR,shore up defences in the Ukraine,to prevent counter-strike,and your half way there...
Billy Ruben
Billy Ruben

Back to top Go down

B.P. Offshore Oil Strike Game From The '70's...!!!  Empty Re: B.P. Offshore Oil Strike Game From The '70's...!!!

Post  Billy Ruben Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:38 am

...My partner's pretty good,wiped me out in Risk,a few times...
Billy Ruben
Billy Ruben

Back to top Go down

Post  Kallisti, Damn'd Sod..!!! Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:06 pm

John Drake wrote:What a load of old bollocks.

Get help sod you're heads really gone.

You Fail Too See The Political Analogy Here Droinke...!!!

B.P. Offshore Oil Strike Game From The '70's...!!!  Grandchessboard

Brzezinski Tells Audience It Is Easier To Kill A Million People Than It Is To Control Them

On November the 17th 2008,

Zbigniew Brzezinski, a New World Order proponent and a founder of the Rockefeller-controlled Trilateral Commission, gave a speech to British elites at Chatham House.
This venue is home to the Royal Institute of International Affairs which is believed by some to be behind the creation of the Bilderberg Group,
an elite cabal which uses its power and influence to impose its policies on nations throughout the world.

Brzezinski, who authored Between Two Ages: America’s Role in the Technetronic Era and The Grand Chessboard,
is well known for his presentations at Bilderberg Conferences and is one of those who foresees no middle class, only rulers and servants under a New World Order...

http://www.tagtele.com/videos/voir/31803

B.P. Offshore Oil Strike Game From The '70's...!!!  Zbigbrzezinskibegincamp

Israeli Prime Minister Menachem Begin (1913 -1992, left) and American National Security Advisor Zbigniew Brzezinski (right) play a game of chess at the Camp David Summit, Maryland, September 1978.
Looking on are (centre, left to right):
Israeli Ambassador Simcha Dinitz (1929 - 2003), Israeli general Efran Ponan and Begin's press secretary Dan Patir

Look Zbignew Brezenski Uses The Board Game Chess As An Analogy For The Political Arena...

Shakesphere Uses A Similar Analogy...

All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players:
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts,
His acts being seven ages. At first the infant,
Mewling and puking in the nurse's arms.
And then the whining school-boy, with his satchel
And shining morning face, creeping like snail
Unwillingly to school. And then the lover,
Sighing like furnace, with a woeful ballad
Made to his mistress' eyebrow. Then a soldier,
Full of strange oaths and bearded like the pard,
Jealous in honour, sudden and quick in quarrel,
Seeking the bubble reputation
Even in the cannon's mouth. And then the justice,
In fair round belly with good capon lined,
With eyes severe and beard of formal cut,
Full of wise saws and modern instances;
And so he plays his part. The sixth age shifts
Into the lean and slipper'd pantaloon,
With spectacles on nose and pouch on side,
His youthful hose, well saved, a world too wide
For his shrunk shank; and his big manly voice,
Turning again toward childish treble, pipes
And whistles in his sound. Last scene of all,
That ends this strange eventful history,
Is second childishness and mere oblivion,
Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything.

Jaques (Act II, Scene VII, lines 139-166)

So I Find It Quite Interesting That BP Would Endorse This Game In The 1970's,
With All The Negative Connotations Of Oil Spills, Blow-Outs, Clean-Ups, Etc...

Maybe They Didn't Have PR Back Then...???

Have You Ever Played Chess Droinke...???

I'm A Bit Of A Master At It Myself...!!!

But After About 4 Hours Of Strategy...
My Head Starts Hurting So I Go For A Scorched Earth Policy...
ie Just Go For All The Peices...!!!

I Suppose Your Game Is More Like Hopskotch Or Knock Down Ginger, Ain't It...!!!

aaargh aaargh aaargh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down